Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A book about a painter

I read this book:
An autobiography about my favorite painter - James Rosenquist. He's unpretentious and tells a lot of good stories. I'd recommend you look him up online and see some of his paintings, because they are great, and you might be able to see what I find so interesting about his work.
A) He can paint - craftsmanship is a must for me
B) He works conceptually - I like the ideas
C) His work is pretty strong, graphic, confrontational (not in the naked way)
D) Plenty of commentary on consumerism, marketing, and war

I learned that he lives very close to where my mom and dad live now. I tried to visit him over the holiday, but he wasn't there and he wouldn't let anyone in his studio if he wan't there. I will try again! Also, his assistant gave me his email address, so I will attempt a correspondence.

No comments: