Friday, September 2, 2011

What is a blessed family?

We have had an eventful summer. You can read about the specifics here.
My parents are working with their parents and couldn't make it to us for a family reunion. We did, however, see Candace's whole family at Savanah's wedding.

One thought to share: Our community is a part of a magazine/ devotional for New Monastics called Conspire.

In the most recent mag, there is a beautiful and challenging examination of parenting. The following quote really struck me:

"What we feel life is about is determined by how we answer this question (...): 'What do you want for your kids?' 'To be happy' is a common response, or 'to be successful at what they want.' But increasingly, my answer to that question is: to be blessed. Jesus gave a definition of blessed that makes me utterly reconsider my priorities, re-framed in the beatitudes as poor, hungry for justice, proficient in mercy, adept at reconciliation, well-formed on the inside, and willing to stick out for what's right. Is that what I want for my kids?"

No comments: